1. What is this launch about?
To promote lifelong learning and encourage alumni to acquire deep skills in a timely, accessible manner through modularised and technology-enhanced learning programmes, NTU is providing all alumni with NTU alumni course credits.
The launch of the NTU Alumni Course Credit seeks to empower NTU alumni to undertake reskilling, upskilling and deep-skilling efforts in order to stay relevant in the ever-changing global workforce.
2. Am I eligible to receive the credits? If so, how much will I be receiving?
You are eligible to receive the NTU Alumni Course Credit as long as you are an alumnus of NTU or NIE (students who graduated with a diploma/degree from any of the undergraduate/postgraduate programmes offered by NTU/NIE), regardless of nationality.
Each alumnus will receive a one-time course credit of S$1,600.00/-
3. What courses can I enrol in using the NTU Alumni Course Credit?
Alumni will be able to enrol in all courses offered by the College of Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE College).
4. When can I start utilising my NTU Alumni Course Credit?
Alumni can utilise the NTU Alumni Course Credit on courses starting next month, 1 November 2017 (Wednesday) onwards.
You will be eligible to utilise the NTU Alumni Course Credit even if you have registered for a course(s) prior to 1 November 2017 as long as the course(s) starts on or after 1 November 2017.
Alumni can apply online via NTU’s College of Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE College) website.
5. I don’t think I want to take up any courses in NTU. Can I exchange the credits for cash or use them for something else?
The NTU Alumni Course Credit can only be used as discounts against course fees when enrolling in courses provided by the College of Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE College).
The available credits cannot be converted into cash or used against any other NTU courses.
6. How many courses can I apply for with the initial credits given to me?
For a Singapore Citizen above 40 years old, he/she can use government subsidies from organisations such as the Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) or MOE Skills-Based Subsidy to offset course fees. He/She can take up to six short courses or six semester-long courses based on the initial S$1,600 credit.
For a Singapore Citizen below 40 years old or a Singapore Permanent Resident, he/she can take up to four to five short courses or two semester-long courses based on the initial S$1,600 credit.
For Foreigners, he/she can still take up to two short courses or one semester-long course.
7. How many courses can I take using the NTU Alumni Course Credit? Can I apply for more than one course?
Each alumnus can take up to two courses per year restricted to one course per semester.
You will be able to apply for any number of courses that you are interested in. However, if you eventually enrol in more than one course, the alumni course credits can only be utilised on one course (per semester).
8. Am I guaranteed a spot in the course of my choice upon registration?
Availability of places is subject to available capacity and is granted at the sole discretion of PaCE College.
9. Are there any other fees/charges/tax involved?
- An administrative fee of S$200.00/- will be chargeable for every course.
- GST on BOTH the administrative fee AND the relevant course fee will also be chargeable for every course.
To encourage lifelong learning, Singaporeans aged 40 and above will be given a 50% discount off the administrative fee. They will only need to make a payment of S$100.00/- (price excludes GST) per course. This discount is currently valid for the first year of this initiative and will be reviewed again for subsequent years.
The course credits of S$1,600 cannot be used to offset the administrative fee or GST. These expenses must be borne by the participants.
10. What if I do not have sufficient credits left to cover a course that I wish to enrol in after completing a/some course(s)?
You can use cash to top-up if your alumni course credit is insufficient.
11. Will NTU take my credits back if I don’t utilise them within a certain period?
This initiative allowing alumni to use their credits to offset course fees is planned for a period of five years starting 1 November 2017, and will end on 31 October 2022. The university will review this at the end of the five-year period to better respond to the situation at that time and ensure relevancy for our alumni.
12. Is there an age limit?
No. You will be able to utilise the credits as long as you are an NTU or NIE alumnus.
13. When and how do I apply?
Registration period varies from course to course.
You can check whether a course is open for registration and also register online via:
14. Are there any requirements to apply for the courses?
Most of the courses do not have pre-requisites. However, some higher-level courses such as the postgraduate ones may come with pre-requisites which are stated online on the PaCE website.
E.g. EE6306 Digital Integrated Circuit Design
Pre-requisites: This course is aimed toward graduate participants and/or practising engineers working in electric power distribution related fields. At least a Bachelor's degree in Physics or in Electrical and/or Electronic Engineering.
15. How do short courses differ from semester-long ones?
Short courses do not fall under the list of undergraduate or postgraduate courses.
They usually range from one day to a week and participants will receive a certificate upon completion.
16. Would alumni be taking the courses alongside existing students?
Yes, if they are enrolled in the semester-long courses. They will be taking the same courses alongside our existing undergraduate or postgraduate students.
17. Are there subsidies for alumni to apply for the courses?
Singaporeans and Permanent Residents can use government subsidies from the Ministry of Education (MOE) and SkillsFuture Singapore Agency (SSG) to offset course fees. Eligible individuals may receive higher subsidies of up to 90% of the course fees.
Another subsidy from Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) is also available for some courses.
18. Will I still be eligible for any additional discount(s) (E.g. 20% alumni discount, 10% group discount, NTUC affiliation etc.) off the college’s Short Courses if I use the NTU Alumni Course Credit?
No, you will not be eligible to use the NTU Alumni Course Credit together with other discount(s) (E.g. 20% alumni discount, 10% group discount, NTUC affiliation etc.).
For Standard (Non-funded) Courses
19. Where can I find out more about the courses? (E.g. When classes are held, if they will be graded etc.)
- If you choose to use the NTU Alumni Course Credit, you will not be allowed to tap on other discount(s).
- If you choose NOT to use the NTU Alumni Course Credit, you will still be eligible for other discount(s) on short courses.
20. Will my alumni course credits and administrative fee be refunded if I can no longer commit to the course/need to withdraw?
You will only be required to make the payment for the admin fee and course fee upon course confirmation.
Fees are non-refundable upon confirmation of your attendance.
21. If I have more questions about the credits, courses and/or admission criteria, who should I contact?
For further enquiries, do drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org